Wired.com, San Francisco, California
Senior Product Manager, May 2012 to Present
Interactive Producer, Contract, January 2012 to May 2012
- Coordinate with Wired.com's management team to develop new projects, and identify areas of improvement on existing properties.
Periscopic, Portland, Oregon
Project Manager and UX Strategist, March 2011 to November 2011
- Developed strategic plans and wireframes for data visualizations for clients such as Yahoo!, GE, and VoteEasy.
- Managed client relationships, detailed schedules and project roadmaps.
- Collaborated with design and engineering to guide complex HTML5 and Flash projects through to completion.
Wired.com and Wired Magazine, San Francisco, California
Managing Editor, March 2008 to December 2010
Wired Magazine Interactive Producer, November 2006 to December 2010
Wired.com and Wired Magazine reach more than 14 million readers a month.
- Directed editorial production of Wired magazine's web presence. Collaborated with writers and editors to create enhanced web content such as video features, flash comics, interactive games and maps.
- Actively managed the print and web teams to effectively promote collaboration on content and technology.
- Advised edit and design teams on development of Wired magazine's iPad app.
- Promoted to Managing Editor of Wired.com in Spring 2008.
- Led transition of Wired.com's content management system to an open-source WordPress blog platform which dramatically increased site traffic and staff efficiency.
- Customized themes and deployed WordPress plugins and widgets to display rich media, custom navigation, galleries, videos and special packages.
- Redefined Wired.com's relationship with sales and marketing by collaborating on custom advertising programs.
- Built Wired's video department from the ground up from hiring editors to developing a budget and content roadmap. Grew Wired's video audience from hundreds to millions per month through a coordinated effort of promotion on Wired.com, YouTube, Hulu, and Facebook.
VolunteerMatch, San Francisco, California
Project Manager and UI Designer, February 2004 to December 2005
- Tasked with redesigning the user interface of VolunteerMatch's Java-based web application that connects millions of volunteers with opportunities from more than 76,000 nonprofit organizations.
- Developed user scenarios, detailed prototypes, and engineering specifications.
- Collaborated with visual designers to create clean, creative solutions for complex UI challenges.
Red Industries, San Francisco, California
Project Manager and Founding Partner, January 2000 to February 2002
- Managed client relationships and all aspects of production and engineering for client web sites, including Choice USA, founded by activist Gloria Steinem.
- Developed user interface, site maps and storyboards with design team and wrote functional specifications, created style guides and all other documentation.
Lucasfilm, Ltd., Nicasio, California
Production Manager, July 1997 to August 1999
- Managed design, production and content creation for all Lucasfilm company web sites, primarily starwars.com.
- Worked with marketing and licensing departments to develop strategy, budget and schedules for new web projects and for maintaining and updating existing sites.
- Directed production and sound design for several animated comics promoting the Star Wars trilogy.
HotWired, San Francisco, California
Production Director, August 1996 to July 1997
Production Editor, April 1995 to August 1996
- Managed HotWired Production Department of 12 production managers and editors.
- Guided HotWired from sporadic posting to a daily deadline intensive publishing schedule.
- Developed and facilitated schedules for new site launches and daily posting of all HotWired content.
- Led new site development with engineering, copyedit and design staff.
- Created accurate page view counting system with team of database engineers.
PBS Frontline/WORLD, Berkeley, California
Contract Interactive Designer, June to November 2006
- Designed and produced Frontline/WORLD web sites for the 2006 broadcast season.
Julia Latané, Los Angeles, California
Contract Web Site Producer, January 2006 to March 2006
- Designed and produced all aspects of Julia's portfolio site using PHP, CSS and hand-coded HTML. Adapted a PHP-based image content management tool to easily upload and organize gallery images.
Ice Blink, San Rafael, California
Contract Web Site Producer, July 2004 to January 2006
- Developed CSS-intensive site for a feature film and game design studio.
Donordigital, San Francisco, California
Contract Project Manager / Designer, May 2003 to December 2003
- Managed web site design and production for online fundraising, advocacy and marketing company, and assisted in development of overall web site strategy for Donordigital clients.
Future Farmers, San Francisco, California
Project Management Consultant, March 2000 to May 2001
- Managed projects for award-winning design firm.
Robota: Reign of Machines, San Rafael, California
Contract Producer, July 2000
- Managed a team of designers and animators to develop a Flash-based web site based on original artwork created by Doug Chiang, Design Director for Star Wars: Episodes I and II. Created a soundtrack for navigating the Flash site with Lucasfilm's Skywalker Sound.
Writing and Editing
Kontiki, Sunnyvale, California
Contract Documentation Specialist, October 2001 to 2003
- Interviewed engineers and production staff to develop user guides and tutorials for Kontiki's rich media delivery services.
WetFeet, San Francisco, California
Contract Editor, September to December 2002
- Managed content creation, edited and updated web site copy and edited 60+ page guides featuring industries and careers.
Webmonkey, San Francisco, California
Lucasfilm Ltd., Nicasio, California
July 1997 to August 1999
- Wrote features for the Official Star Wars web site, including a 12-part series to accompany the Making of Episode I video documentary.
DECOIN, Intag, Ecuador
- Build and maintain DECOIN's Web site.
Awards and Honors
Nominee, 2010: Best Magazine Web Site: Wired Magazine — Wired.com
ASME National Magazine Award
Finalist 2009: Interactive Feature: iPhone3G Map — Wired.com
MIN Best of the Web
Winner 2009: Integration With Print: High Tech Cowboys of the Deep Sea: The Race to Save the Cougar Ace — Wired.com
Nominee 2000: Interactive Feature: Robota: Reign of Machines — Red Industries
Lectures and Speaking Engagements
Folio: Show, New York, New York, June 2010
"The Multimedia Content Shuffle"
San Francisco State University, Oakland Multimedia Center,
California, Fall 2002
Instructor for Project Management for Fall 2002 semester.
Stanford University, Palo Alto, California, Spring 2002
Guest lecturer for undergraduate sculpture class.
Web 2001 Conference, San Francisco, California, September 2001
"Project Management: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly"
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- Proficient with Macintosh, PC and UNIX operating systems.
University of Wisconsin — Madison, Bachelor of Arts, May 1994, Dean's List
Double Major: Journalism and History
References available on request